Seabrook is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean on the east and the state of
Massachusetts on the south. Bordering towns are: Salisbury,
Massachusetts, Hampton Falls, Kensington and South Hampton, New
Hampshire. Seabrook has excellent highway access with Routes 1-95, 1-A,
Routes 107 and 286.
Barrington bears the family name of the English governor of
Massachusetts and New Hampshire, Samuel Shute of Barrington Hall, whose
brother was Viscount Barrington. It was once the third most populous
town in the state. The smelting of iron ore was at the time the area's
A city of some 25,000, Dover's downtown area reflects the city's mill
heritage. The Cochecho River graces the banks of the downtown. Members
of the community hustle by on shopping or business trips. Dover
is nestled between the mountains and the ocean. The community is close
to the University of New Hampshire, Pease International Tradeport and a
local airport. The city is a short drive to the Port of New
Hampshire, the state's only deep water port, scene to industrial barges
escorted by tugs, importing and exporting goods to and from the Granite
State. Dover is a quick commute to the metropolitan area of Boston, and
less than an hour's drive to Boston's Logan International Airport. In
addition, there is easy access to rail and highway transportation
Durham is a community of about 12,500 permanent residents and another
12,000 students who attend the University of New Hampshire. The town
boasts a wealth of natural resources and ecological
diversity with spectacular open spaces, beautiful coastal frontage and
and ample forested areas. The active downtown area is composed of
businesses that primarily cater to the student population. Durham
has no strip commercial development and its voters have taken measures
to to protect and preserve the town's heritage and
resources. The town is always busy during fall and spring
semesters and relatively quiet during the summer months.
Established in 1765, Lee was one of the last among the 129 towns
chartered by Governor Benning Wentworth. Named for General Charles Lee,
friend and kin of the Governor, who had fought with George Washington
and others during the French and Indian Wars. Lee also fought under
Washington during the American Revolution, and in doing so, forfeited
estates in England.
Madbury is situated on the southeastern section of New Hampshire,
comprising about 7,600 acres. It is bounded on its northeast border by
the City of Dover; on the southern line by Durham and Lee, and on the
west by Barrington. The Barrington line is slightly less than three
miles long; and from the corners of this line, the Madbury town lines
converge to the southeast until they reach tidewater --a distance of
about seven miles to form a wedge shaped triangle, whose base is at
Barrington and apex is at a point adjacent to the spot where the
Bellamy River enters Little Bay. This location has been variously known
as Cedar Point, Tickle Point, and Hill's Neck. The Bellamy River is the
only one of any size in Madbury and, until the Bellamy dam was built,
Barbadoes Pond was the town's largest body of water. Although it has
always been in the center of an industrial area, Madbury itself has
always remained rural in character. There was never a village or hamlet
in the town. For years lumbering and agriculture were its mainstays.
However, quite recently it changed to what is primarily a residential
town, and furnishes homes for many whose income is derived from
Somersworth began as a parish of Dover, named Sligo after the Irish
county which was home to an early colonial governor. Later, it was
called Summersworth, which was contracted to Somersworth when it was
incorporated in 1754. It was incorporated as a city in 1893. Situated
on the Salmon River, Somersworth has been home to many gristmills,
sawmills, and cotton and woolen making establishments.
Rochester, known as the Lilac City, is located in southeastern New
Hampshire. With a population of almost 31,000, Rochester is the largest
city in the seacoast region and fourth largest city in New Hampshire.
Encompassing 48 square miles of rolling hills and rivers, Rochester is
conveniently located only a short distance from New Hampshire's famous
Lakes Region, the White Mountains with its ski resorts and the Seacoast
with its superb beaches. Whether covered with its famous lilacs in the
spring, flowers blooming in the summer, spectacular autumn foliage or
fresh-fallen snow, the Rochester area is a scenic delight. One of
Rochester's many attributes is its excellent air, highway, rail and
water transportation connections. Major highways include routes 11,
108, 125, 202 and the Spaulding Turnpike (Route 16), a four lane,
limited access highway with six exits to the City. This expressway
provides easy access to Interstate 95, the Pease International
Tradeport, Boston's Logan Airport, Manchester International Airport,
the Portland International Jetport and the Port of Portsmouth. The New
Hampshire Northcoast rail line and Skyhaven Airport also serve
Once a part of Kingston, this area was called Kingston East Parish. It
was granted a separate charter in 1738 after some residents petitioned
Governor Jonathan Belcher of Massachusetts that its location was too
distant from the Kingston school and place of worship.
Granted in 1741, Epping was the last town chartered by Massachusetts
Governor Jonathan Belcher prior to the establishment of New Hampshire
as an independent province. It was at one time a part of Exeter, and
was named for Epping Forest, a suburb of London.
Once a part of Exeter known as Poplin, after an English mill town. The
town was renamed Fremont in 1854, after General John C. Fremont, who
was the first candidate of the Republican Party in the presidential
election of 1856. Benton, in Grafton County, bears the name of
Fremont's father-in-law, Senator Thomas Hart Benton.
Visions of a quiet, picturesque New England town come to life in
Greenland, New Hampshire. Bordering the waters of the serene Great Bay,
this residential community is located just beyond the Portsmouth city
limits. Greenland's 13.4 square miles are dotted with many 18th century
homes and colonial farm houses including an inn and tavern, visited
frequently by George Washington in his travels up and down the coast.
Greenland is convenient to both Portsmouth and Exeter.
During the summer months Hampton Beach is alive with events and
activities with over 80 free evening concerts, weekly fireworks
displays and the ever popular Hampton Beach Casino. Some of the more
notable events are the Masters of Sand Sculpting competition, the Miss
Hampton Beach competition, the Hampton Beach Idol competition and
the annual Seafood Festival held towards the end of the summer season.
For families, check out the Hampton Beach Children's Festival held in
Hampton Falls is primarily a residential community that clings proudly
to its rural roots. Route 1 provides a small business community which
includes Dodge's Agway, a country store, furniture stores, a Shopper's
Village, restaurants and numerous antique shops. Applecrest Orchard is
located on Route 88. Applecrest is one of the oldest working apple
orchards in the country; as well as one of the town's largest employers
and taxpayers. Horse farms are also abundant and operating in Hampton
Falls. The building inspector's office still receives requests for
permits to build barns. Many residents commute out of town to work.
Boston is 45 miles away and Route 95 is easily accessible from town.
Portsmouth is 15 miles away. Commuting residents can escape to a small
rural town after an easy commute to the cities.
Kensington, a small rural community of approximately 1800 people, is
situated in southeastern Rockingham County, about 8 miles from the
Atlantic Ocean. Kensington remains a community of farms, woodlands
& pastures, and wetlands; and the roads have names like Stumpfield,
Wild Pasture, Drinkwater, Hemlock, Juniper, and Muddy Pond.
Approximately 12 square miles in size, Kensington has four state owned
roads running through it: Routes 84, 107, 108, and 150. The downtown,
though small, serves the needs of the community well: a Town Hall, an
elementary school (grades K-5), a library, two churches, Fire
Department, Police Department, and a cemetery. Two restaurants, a
convenience store, and James R. Rosencrantz form the commercial base of
Kensington, with Exeter & Hampton Electric the primary industry in
Kingston was the fifth town to be established in New Hampshire, made
possible by peace treaties with the Indians following King William's
War. The settlement, known as King's Town, was probably named by
residents originally from Kingston, Massachusetts. Kingston was once
home to Dr. Josiah Bartlett, president of the state from 1790 to 1794,
delegate to the Continental Congress, first signer of the Declaration
of Independence, and founder of the New Hampshire Medical Society.
The largest of several islands at the mouth of the Piscataqua River,
this town was originally known as Great Island. New Castle is unique in
the state, being the only town made up entirely of islands, connected
to the mainland by bridges. The smallest town in New Hampshire, which
covers .8 square miles, or 512 acres. The town is composed of one large
island and several smaller islands, and serves as a scenic residential
and recreational community. New Castle is home to the Historic
Wentworth By-The-Sea Hotel. The town is served by nine (9) full-time
and two (2) part-time employees, aided by volunteer boards and fire
department personnel. New Castle houses a U.S. Coast Guard Station at
the mouth of the Piscataqua River, Fort Constitution and Fort Stark
which are Historic Sites under the direction of the NH Department of
Resources and Economic Development. Also in the SW part of town, are
the state owned Leach's and Clampit Islands. These five properties
combine for a total of 65 acres.
Located along the west bank of the Squamscott River, Newfields is
bordered by Newmarket to the north, Exeter to the south, Stratham to
the east, and Epping to the west. Newfields is accessible principally
via Route 85, which runs northeast between Routes 101 and 108, and via
route 87 which runs east from Route 125. The town is 31 miles from
Manchester, 12 miles from Portsmouth, and 11 miles from Hampton. The
village of Newfields includes a historic country store, a town hall, a
public library, two churches and a post office, all within close
proximity along Main Street. The elementary school and fire department
are nearby on Piscassic Road, on the east side of the village. The
center of Newfields remains a tightly clustered village composed of a
mix of antique colonial and federal homes on the side of a hill
overlooking the waterfront where the town landing, shipyard, and
various workshops and mercantile businesses once thrived. With the
increase in population and economic vitality in the seacoast, NH
region, Newfieldswith its country charm and attractive natural
landscape, has become a popular bedroom community. While significant
land development and construction of new homes in the last decade has
brought many new residents to the town, along with a corresponding
expansion of services and facilities, Newfields retains its proud
historic character in large part because all of its residents, both old
and new, appreciate and respect its heritage.
Newington is situated in New Hampshire's Seacoast Region, sixty miles
northeast of Boston, and sixty miles southwest of Portland. The town is
bordered on three sides by the Piscataqua River and the Great Bay
Estuary. The first European settlers arrived in the 1620's. Newington's
residential district features many historic homes, open fields, and
sweeping vistas of Little Bay and Great Bay. Despite the town's
comparatively small land area, Newington has more publicly owned
conservation land than any other municipality in southeast New
Hampshire. Protected tracts include the 120 acre Fox Point which juts
far into Little Bay, and the spectacular 1,100 acre Great Bay National
Wildlife Refuge which accounts for six miles of shoreline along the
Great Bay Estuary.
As a small but vital community of about 7,000 located in the seacoast
of New Hampshire, the town of Newmarket continues to retain its
character as a scenic mill town along the banks of the Lamprey River
and Great Bay. Newmarket's historical past as a New England river town
saw the growth and changing of it's mills from early sawmills to a
thriving textile industry which has in turn given way to new venture
high tech companies and dozens of smaller businesses. The Lamprey
River, winding through the town, plays a special yet changing role in
the town's life. Formerly serving as a major water transportation link
connecting the inland regions with Portsmouth harbor and the Atlantic
ocean, the Lamprey is now appreciated as a significant recreational
asset to the region with its opportunities for fishing, boating and
access to the larger Great Bay tidal basin area.
The sixth town to be granted from the Masonian land purchase of 1746,
Newton was originally part of South Hampton. A number of the residents
felt they were too far away from its church for their convenience, and
the town was incorporated as Newtown in 1749 simply because it was a
new town. In 1846, the New Hampshire legislature voted to contract the
name to Newton.
First settled in 1639, this town was a part of Hampton known as North
Hill or North Parish. Residents began petitioning for separation from
Hampton as early as 1719, but township was not granted until 1742,
following separation of New Hampshire from Massachusetts. North Hampton
was the birthplace of General Henry Dearborn, commander-in-chief of the
American forces in the War of 1812, for whom Fort Dearborn (Chicago)
and Dearborn, Michigan, were named.
First settled in 1763, Northwood separated from Nottingham and was
incorporated in 1773. The town was also known as North Woods and
Northwood Narrows, a name still used. At one time, there were some 12
sawmills in the town, five of which were replaced by shoe factories.
More recently, the town has been a popular vacation spot, being home to
ten lakes, including Bow, Pleasant, and Harvey Lakes.
Nottingham was named in honor of Daniel Finch, second Earl of
Nottingham. The Earl was a close friend of Samuel Shute and Joseph
Dudley, Governors of Massachusetts when New Hampshire was under that
province's jurisdiction. Among the grantees was Peregrine White,
descendant of Peregrine White of the Mayflower, the first child of
English parentage born in New England.
Once part of Haverhill, Massachusetts, Plaistow was named in 1749 when
it was set aside to be an English plaistowe, meaning an open space or
greenwood, near the center of a village where the maypole stood and
where sports at holiday times were carried on. Other places in and
around the town were named Timburlain, Policy Pond, Spicket Meadow, and
First settled in 1630 as Piscataqua, the settlement was soon named
Strawberry Banke. The name Portsmouth was adopted in 1653 to honor the
colony s founder, John Mason, Captain of the Port in Portsmouth,
England. Portsmouth became the New Hampshire province s capitol in
1679. It was home to many famous colonials, such as William Whipple,
signer of the Declaration of Independence; Governor John Langdon, first
US Senate president; and John Paul Jones, naval hero. Portsmouth was
incorporated as a city in 1849. The original Strawberry Banke
settlement has been preserved as an example of a colonial American town.
This town was first settled by families from Exeter as a parish of
Chester, known as Freetown, because it was exempt from the usual
obligation of reserving its tall pine trees for masts in the royal
English Navy. In 1764, the town was named Raymond for Captain William
Raymond, who had raised a company of soldiers to fight in the war
against Canada. Land in Raymond was granted to soldiers from Beverly,
Massachusetts, and it was also known as Beverly-Canada.
The first settlement in New Hampshire, established by David Thompson in
1623 at Odiorne's Point, and named Pannaway. Originally part of
Portsmouth, it was incorporated as a parish of New Castle in 1726. The
town is named for the borough of Rye, a flourishing English Channel
town. Rye's eight-mile length of coastline is dotted with old names
such as Wallis Sands, Jenness Beach, Locke's Neck, Ragged Neck, Rye
Harbor, and Odiorne Point. In 1876, four of the Isles of Shoals were
annexed to the town, the only New Hampshire town with Atlantic islands.
The remaining five islands belong to Maine.
Once part of Kingston, Sandown was incorporated as a separate town in
1756. It was named for picturesque Sandown on the Isle of Wight. The
first minister of Sandown, Reverend Joseph Cotton, built the Sandown
Church in 1773. The church had an eleven-foot high pulpit and marble
columns supporting the gallery, and is still an excellent example of
early New England church architecture.
Seabrook was first settled in 1638 when it was part of Hampton. It was
incorporated as a separate town in 1768, and named Seabrook after the
Seabrook River. The boundary between Hampton and Seabrook was subject
to periodic dispute for nearly two centuries, and was finally settled
by court decision in 1953. Seabrook is now home to the Seabrook Nuclear
Power Plant, itself source of much dispute and controversy.
One of the first towns granted by Governor Benning Wentworth, South
Hampton was chartered in 1742 from parts of Amesbury and Salisbury,
Massachusetts. Over the years, the town lost territory to Hampton
Falls, Seabrook, and Newton, but gained territory from East Kingston.
At one time, the town was home to over twelve different religious sects.
Settled in 1631, this area, called Winnicutt by the Indians, was known
as Squamscott Patent or Point of Rocks because of its location between
the Great Bay and the Squamscott River. The sixth town to be
incorporated in New Hampshire, the town was named for a friend of
Governor Samuel Shute of Massachusetts, Wriothesley Russell, Baron
Howland of Streatham.
Originally known as Brentwood Parish, a parish of Exeter. This and
several other towns were separated from their parent communities due to
overpopulation. The name was taken from Brentwood, England, a suburb of
London containing the king's forest, the burning of which gave it the
name Burnt Wood.